Coasters are some of the most undervalued home décor items around. Why? All too often they are written off as superfluous fixtures, which do little more than prevent a few water droplets from getting on your coffee table, but the stereotype is wholly misplaced.
Coasters not only orient guests to proper drinking etiquette within a home, but they’re fantastic conversation starters. Whether you’re meeting up with new friends or regrouping with the old, there’s nothing quite like a lovely, ornate coaster to call attention to the beautiful nuances of your home. Not to mention the fact they have been proven to protect wood surfaces from water stains.
Yes, we can hear the sighs from here. “Coasters are tacky,” you might be thinking to yourself. “They don’t go with the aesthetic of my home,” says another voice. That’s why Lace Heaven has decided to step in.
We believe in the versatility of lace coasters, which are already livening up a number of our homes this spring season.
P.S. – Coasters are one of the easiest DIY crafts you can make! Here is a quick breakdown of what to do.
- Gather Materials
Before crafting your coaster, you’ll want to grab the items listed below:
- Lace yardage (scraps also work!)
- Chantilly lace trims
- Spray adhesive
- Enamel metallic spray paint
- Tiles (Daltile bullnose glazed ceramic wall tiles, preferably 4 ¼ inches square, semi-gloss, in white)
- Felt or cork surface protectors
- Follow Easy Steps
- Cut the lace into small pieces in order to cover your tiles. From there, using your spray adhesive, mist one side of the lace and affix it to a tile. Make sure to smooth out any wrinkles as you go.
- Choose your desired color, and spray paint the lace. Be sure to hold the can about 6 inches away from the surface, slowly swaying in a side-to-side motion.
- Allow 1 minute to dry, and then carefully peel off the lace and place it on another tile. Believe it or not, you can comfortably reuse one piece 3 or 4 times without reapplying adhesive!
- Leave the lace to dry. Adhere felt or cork surface protectors on the coaster bottom, as desired.
You’ve now mastered the simple art of lace coasters. Consider giving one to a family member or friend. (Mother’s Day is coming up!) They make for great homemade gifts, and if you need any additional colors, patterns or materials, Lace Heaven always carries an endless inventory of lace.